Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'm really sucking at this aren't I......

So it seems that I just can't remember to write about the Saturday game BEFORE our Monday practice so I'm having to bundle two days worth of blog posts into one. Guess I need to try to be better about that.....

Ok, so Saturday right? Saturday was a BLAST!!! Our first game with my entire team in attendance and the team we went up against, I feel, provided a real challenge to the girls that the first team we faced didn't and the girls really stepped it up. I honestly haven't the faintest clue what the score was so we'll just go with the official policy of "it was a tie".

Monday night practice on the other hand was a totally different animal. I suppose a little of the "new" is wearing thin on the game for some of the girls, and they're beginning to let some of their personalities show through. One has started manhandling anyone within arms reach, despite my insistence that the "no hands" rule applies equally to the ball AND other players. Another is playing at a level higher than our age bracket can provide a challenge for and is acting out a bit because of it. Two of them, who I would say had a very weak start, are both making strides in leaps and bounds of improvement, though the larger of the two is extremely timid for fear of "hurting somebody". And the last two seem to be polar opposites of each other....one seems to really WANT to play but struggles with the basics, while the other seems to have a fairly solid foundation and absolutely zero interest in the game. Lots of places in there for me to feel I'm failing to do MY job, but quite a few places to feel good about what I'm doing at the same time. I guess the only thing I can do at this point is to continue trying to impress the basics and keep things fun enough they don't lose interest. I'm still having fun but it has definitely gotten harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment