Friday, September 23, 2011

Every individual is a unique recipe for disaster

So as poorly as I felt about Monday night's practice session I felt equally thrilled by our hour together last night! On the negative side my assistant coach was called in to work leaving me flying solo, which sucked, but There was an UPSIDE!! Because I couldn't break my girls up into two groups like normal, and because I chose to start working some much less "general/simple" concepts, I was forced to take time with each of my girls individually away from the rest of the group one at a time. Now I've never done that before, instead I merely watch them as a group (either the entire team or whichever three I'm working with while Michael works the others) and I learned a lot of things about each one that I did not know.

Also because of the advanced nature of a couple of things I was trying to work on I found it pretty much impossible to get the girls to work with each other in a productive manner, but I did find a way that I can run the same exact drill once Michael can help me out and even better if I can enlist one more parent to allow us to split into 2 kids versus 1 adult (I say adult but I'd take a sibling just as quick). In addition to ME learning about each individual girl I discovered in each of them areas where I really feel that since I lack the ability to spend one on one time with them I could really use some parental help so I started last night to get with each parent individually to talk about where we're going and how they can help if they are willing. Lots of really long sentences in this post.

I'm just amazed at what an experience this is becoming for a guy who got suckered into volunteering and now wishes he could travel back about 5 years and start doing this even before he had kids of his own. I honestly can't imagine NOT doing this now that I'm involved and every single moment I get with my team teaches me more about each of them, and about myself as well. Looking to the future and this is going to be REALLY good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment