Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hrmmmm 3 in one....

Well I didn't blog after last Thursday's practice because I was too pissed off to arrive at our practice space to discover a flag football team. When I approached the wife of the coach to explain that we'd been practicing for over a month she was extremely rude and disrespectful and I just didn't want to get caught up in that here. Hopefully they will show a little more respect this week and find another place or night to practice but we'll have to see.

Saturday was a massacre of gargantuan proportions. The coach of the opposing team was a collegiate level player himself and it really really showed in how his team performed. But as with everything we went away from the experience with new thoughts and new ideas on how we can improve our own team as well as an open offer from the opposing coach to scrimmage during the week and a few tips to boot! Nothing negates the embarrassment of having your ass handed to you on a spit, but if you can't learn from the experience and move forward then you're just not seeing the bigger picture. Just because I'm the "coach" doesn't mean I know anything nor that I have nothing to learn. In fact I see it as meaning that I have a responsibility to learn even more than my girls so that I can have something to teach them in the first place.

Monday night practice was a new and interesting experience. My rock star couldn't be there, and my assistant coach was stuck at work again, but thankfully my M-I-L kept my youngest allowing my wife to assist. Today though she's regretting it on so many levels I can't help but laugh at her. She says she's hurting in places she didn't know she had!!! She's never once thought that what Michael and I am doing "looks easy" but damned if having to get out there and do it yourself doesn't open a whole new perspective on things!! Ok so last night we started working on introducing the concept of tackling. Yes I know this soccer blog is called "football" and I also know that gridiron football uses the term tackle but in OUR world it's a very different concept. CHECK THIS OUT. Essentially what this means is that "tackling" is just the act of taking the ball away from the opposition. Any form of taking the ball away is a "tackle" but I've separated, for the girls, the concept of "stealing the ball" which is taking possession of the ball and moving toward your goal and "tackling the ball" which is essentially just kicking the ball out of the other player's control in effort to disrupt their progress.

In the big game, where you have 11 players on the field, MY definition of tackling is very likely to place the ball within range of one of your teammates who could then take possession and move towards your goal making it synonymous with my "stealing". At our level with only 3 girls on the field (who are more than likely bunched up around the ball with the 3 on the OTHER team) all you can hope to accomplish is to disrupt travel and hopefully get to the ball before the opposition regains control which is why I've decided to differentiate. Stealing is a controlled move, and tackling is a defensive action to disrupt the other team. Next thing to do is going to be convincing the girls to spread out a bit. That whole bunching up around the ball thing is a little bit counterproductive when you're stealing the ball from your own team.....

No comments:

Post a Comment